gen_pool_add broken with LPAE based systems

Laura Abbott lauraa at codeaurora.org
Thu Mar 14 19:05:27 EDT 2013

Hi,

We use genalloc for managing certain pools of physical memory. genalloc
currently uses unsigned long for virtual addresses and phys_addr_t for
physical addresses. Our ARM LPAE systems have 64-bit physical addresses
but unsigned long is still 32 bits.  Using gen_pool_add breaks with
addresses > 4G because gen_pool_add treats the address passed in as the
virtual address. gen_pool allocates internally based on the 32 bit
virtual address as well so everything is broken if we want to be able to
manage the full address space after 4G. I see a couple of options:

1) Change gen_pool_add to use physical addresses and allocate based on
physical addresses instead of virtual addresses
2) Change the virtual address to be a 64 bit type or something
selectable to a 64 bit type.
3) Allow a flag per pool to select whether the allocator is virtual or
physical and switch between those.
4) Split the APIs into virtual <-> physical and physical only and have
separate types for each.

Any of these suggestions seem reasonable or is there another option to
consider?

Thanks,
Laura
hosted by The Linux Foundation