Multi-platform, and secure-only ARM errata workarounds

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Mar 11 12:59:45 EDT 2013

On 03/10/2013 12:47 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Santosh Shilimkar
> <santosh.shilimkar at ti.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. The secure OS really has to have enabled the appropriate WARs
>>> before jumping into the kernel's reset vector. If/when we support the
>>> upstream kernel running on Tegra in non-secure mode, the plan was to use
>>> a Tegra-specific mechanism to detect secure-vs-normal mode in the Tegra
>>> reset vector, and skip the application of secure-only WARs based on that.

>>> I had a downstream discussion about this, and Bo Yan said someone had
>>> verified this was working correctly for at least for some WARs on some
>>> CPUs and for the one particular secure OS we're using.
>>>
>>> I think it's reasonable to require a fixed secure OS (i.e. one that
>>> correctly enables any required WARs) be used with any upstream kernel,
>>> since running in normal world would be a new feature that we'd be
>>> supporting.
>>>
>>> An SMC to read/write the diag register sounds the opposite of secure...

>>> Yes, that could work.
>>>
>> It might work for few but it isn't an alternative which is maintainable.
>>
>> Olof proposed to have a common code which can be executed before kernel boot
>> in recent Linaro connect multi-platform discussion.
>> Though there was no conclusion on where this file can be part of kernel source
>> tree. Just form errata WA version control perspective, its is best to have such
>> errata WA as part of kernel code instead of spreading it over boot-loader, kernel
>> and firmware/sleep code.
>

> Yeah, that was mentioned in the discussion at Linaro Connect that we
> should have brought out here on the mailing list. I just got home and
> haven't had time to follow up on it, but thanks for the reminder. :)
>
> My reasoning was this:
>
> 1) Sleep/powerdown recovery code can per definition know what platform
> we're running on, so we can do the right thing at runtime there

So this seems to be the opposite of what Santosh was saying. By
definition, if you're talking about platform-specific knowledge, surely
you are /not/ talking about common code. If you /are/ talking about
common code that enables the WARs based on some data that was created by
the kernel before it power-saved, then that's exactly what Peter was
proposing, so I don't understand Santosh's "not maintainable" comment...

Item (2) below I assume is intended only to address the
CPU0-on-first-boot issue. Any code that "wraps" (is prepended to?) the
kernel isn't part of the kernel, and hence won't be available for the
kernel to use when bringing up CPUn, or when resuming from power save,
since the whole point is the kernel doesn't even know that code exists,
right?