[kvmarm] [GIT PULL v2] KVM/ARM Fixes for 3.9-rc1

Christoffer Dall cdall at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 11 11:58:52 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/13 19:26, Christoffer Dall wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:

>>> don't

>>> arch/arm/kernel/asm-offset.c, being an ARM core file, is often the
>>> location of merge conflicts. And because arch/arm sees a lot more churn
>>> than any other architecture, we have the policy of dealing with conflicts
>>> before they hit Linus.
>>>
>>> We usually deal with that by providing stable branches that will contain
>>> the "offending" patches, and on which others can base their developments.
>>>
>>> This is why I suggested holding on this pull request until we got a better
>>> view of what potential merge conflicts we get with this patches. This
>>> shouldn't prevent the patches from entering -next though, as this would
>>> help detecting the above conflicts.
>>>
>> So I think you need to explain me a little more carefully how the
>> 'usually' applies in this case. This is just a pull request to the
>> kvm/master branch - it's not to Linus or ARM-specific. The only thing
>> is that we touch asm-offsets.c.
>
> Yes, and that's the issue. Core changes to the ARM code usually goes
> through RMK in order to avoid conflicts. This is a long established
> policy. It could be another tree (arm-soc, for example), but that's the
> general idea.
>
> At least getting an Ack from Russell so he knows about this patch seems
> to be the minimum we could do.
>
>> The only thing I can see that happens here is:
>>  - merge to kvm/master
>>  - kvm/master gets merged by Linus into -rcX (he fixes any merge
>> conflicts if present)
>
> And that's exactly what we've worked very hard to avoid. We don't let
> conflicts go up to Linus.
>
>>  - we, ARM, kvm, everyone, pull back from Linus
>>
>> and that's it.
>>
>> Perhaps it would be helpful if you can explain the situation we need
>> to avaoid and what exactly is the scenario when this breaks?
>>
>> The merge conflicts in asm-offsets.c should be uber-trivial, so I'm
>> not sure what the big deal is.
>
> Given that we don't know what is to be merged yet, your crystal ball is
> as good as mine.
>
> Anyway, I've said it. In the end, this is your decision as a maintainer.

I certainly appreciate your input, and I definitely want to do this in
a way that makes the community happy, I'm just a bit confused about
exactly how the process should go, and I still don't quite see what
sending a pull request at -rc5 will give us. Maybe I'm being slow?

Otherwise, it sounds like I should simply send Russel a pull-request
for a specific branch made off one of his stable branches?

Is there an established branch to use or workflow (perhaps even
documented somewhere that I can look at), or do I have to send Russell
an e-mail requesting a stable branch and base my pull request off
there, or does something automagically happen at rc5?

-Christoffer