[kvmarm] [GIT PULL v2] KVM/ARM Fixes for 3.9-rc1

Marc Zyngier marc.zyngier at arm.com
Mon Mar 11 06:38:23 EDT 2013

On 08/03/13 19:26, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:09:00 -0300, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>> don't

>>> Mark, can you please be more verbose on the reason for this request?
>>
>> arch/arm/kernel/asm-offset.c, being an ARM core file, is often the
>> location of merge conflicts. And because arch/arm sees a lot more churn
>> than any other architecture, we have the policy of dealing with conflicts
>> before they hit Linus.
>>
>> We usually deal with that by providing stable branches that will contain
>> the "offending" patches, and on which others can base their developments.
>>
>> This is why I suggested holding on this pull request until we got a better
>> view of what potential merge conflicts we get with this patches. This
>> shouldn't prevent the patches from entering -next though, as this would
>> help detecting the above conflicts.
>>
> So I think you need to explain me a little more carefully how the
> 'usually' applies in this case. This is just a pull request to the
> kvm/master branch - it's not to Linus or ARM-specific. The only thing
> is that we touch asm-offsets.c.

Yes, and that's the issue. Core changes to the ARM code usually goes
through RMK in order to avoid conflicts. This is a long established
policy. It could be another tree (arm-soc, for example), but that's the
general idea.

At least getting an Ack from Russell so he knows about this patch seems
to be the minimum we could do.

> The only thing I can see that happens here is:
>  - merge to kvm/master
>  - kvm/master gets merged by Linus into -rcX (he fixes any merge
> conflicts if present)

And that's exactly what we've worked very hard to avoid. We don't let
conflicts go up to Linus.

>  - we, ARM, kvm, everyone, pull back from Linus
>
> and that's it.
>
> Perhaps it would be helpful if you can explain the situation we need
> to avaoid and what exactly is the scenario when this breaks?
>
> The merge conflicts in asm-offsets.c should be uber-trivial, so I'm
> not sure what the big deal is.

Given that we don't know what is to be merged yet, your crystal ball is
as good as mine.

Anyway, I've said it. In the end, this is your decision as a maintainer.

	M.