LVDS (LDB) driver for i.MX53 IPU

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Sun Mar 10 18:32:41 EDT 2013

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 06:51:10PM +0100, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
> Hi Sascha,
>
> I need to add LVDS support to your staging imx/drm driver.
>
> First of all are there any patches floating around to do that? (a
> search of the mailing list didn't turn up any).
>
> From a hardware point of view it looks quite simple (just one
> register to configure) but unfortunately that register is in the
> IOMUXC region.
>
> That means that if I write a new platform driver similar to
> drivers/staging/imx-drm/parallel-display.c (with a new DT node
> pointing to the reg) the request_resource() will fail since it will
> already be claimed by the iomuxc driver.
>
> The only solutions I can think of are:
> 1) Add exported function to the iomuxc driver to get the register
> or
> 2) Directly ioremap() the address
>
> Both of these sound horrible.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> I guess the generic question I'm asking is how to handle the case
> where unrelated drivers require access to the same memory regions?

We have a driver for the ldb. Indeed the driver itself is trivial, but
the integration is tricky. For accessing the register the syscon binding
can be used. The clock is also a problem, also the mux to the IPU(s)

I'll talk with Philipp tomorrow and I think we can send you the current
state then.

Sascha