[kvmarm] [GIT PULL v2] KVM/ARM Fixes for 3.9-rc1

Gleb Natapov gleb at redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 06:31:50 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 04:12:41AM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:09:00 -0300, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 07:57:23AM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> >> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:40:00 -0800, Christoffer Dall
> >> <cdall at cs.columbia.edu>

> >> merge

> >> Usually, by -rc5 we have a pretty good idea of what is going in. Also,
> >> putting things into -next is a good way to detect potential problems.
> >>
> >> Oh, and keeping linux-arm-kernel into the loop. Most ARM developers
> don't
> >> follow the KVM lists.
> >>
> >>         M.
> >
> > Mark, can you please be more verbose on the reason for this request?
>
> arch/arm/kernel/asm-offset.c, being an ARM core file, is often the
> location of merge conflicts. And because arch/arm sees a lot more churn
> than any other architecture, we have the policy of dealing with conflicts
> before they hit Linus.
>
> We usually deal with that by providing stable branches that will contain
> the "offending" patches, and on which others can base their developments.

Can you elaborate on that? If all changes to arch/arm/kernel/asm-offset.c not
go through the same tree how having many stable branches solve conflicts
issues?

> This is why I suggested holding on this pull request until we got a better
> view of what potential merge conflicts we get with this patches.
arch/arm/kernel/asm-offset.c in kvm.git:next will not change until 3.10-rc1
is released. What holding the pull request will give us?

--
			Gleb.