Armada DRM driver on OLPC XO

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jun 28 17:36:37 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 04:47:26PM -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> I have tested it on OLPC XO-1.75 (MMP2 aka Armada610) and OLPC XO-4 (MMP3
>> aka PXA2128). After a bit of fighting, I have it running. Could you share your
>> X driver, or your methodology for testing hardware cursors? I'd like to test
>> your work there too.
>
> BTW... a point on this.  As you don't have the LCD_SPU_ADV_REG register,
> you probably don't have support for ARGB cursors.  DRM only supports ARGB
> cursors.  You can't down-convert an ARGB cursor to something which looks
> reasonable in the kernel, so I'd suggest forgetting hardware cursors.
> Even converting ARGB to transparency + RGB looks rubbish and wrong.

Interesting. Yes, a previous developer battled unsuccessfully with
hardware cursors and in the end we ended up using low color depth ones
which don't look great. I was wondering if you had found something
new, but it sounds like that we really are limited by the hardware.

Thanks
Daniel