[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 14:15:24 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On 07/06/2013 10:06, luke.leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> what catastrophic thing will happen when the time runs out?
>>  no catastrophe, vladimir: all that happens is that an opportunity is
>> lost, and the result of that is that the situation remains as it is,
>> with a major soc vendor being divorced from and isolated from the free
>> software community, who will continue to have to shoulder the
>> frustrating and isolated burden of responsibility of reworking
>> "over-the-fence" kernel patches as best they can with the limited
>> resources that they have.
>
> I think the question was: what will be done in 3 days that cannot be
> undone ? and you didn't answer that.

 apologies for not being clear.  there is nothing that cannot be
"undone".  i trust that that answers the specific question you've
asked.

 let me try to put it into "undo" words.

 this is about me (a messenger) offering you plural (the linux kernel
community) an opportunity to "undo" the
mess-that-is-perceived-to-be-the-case wrt one specific SoC vendor,
named "Allwinner".

 let me try to put it another way.  i cannot specifically state
EXACTLY what will "be done", because i do not have authorisation to
make that publicly known.  i am trying hard to hint at what can be
"done", and the deadline is monday 10th june 2013 to get a clear
proposal in which will make its way to allwinner, by means that i
cannot specifically tell you about because i do not have the specific
authorisation or permission to tell you.

 does that point you in the right direction?

 can we please get on with taking advantage of this opportunity and
discuss options that can be presented, instead of asking these kinds
of questions?

> I don't understand why your are
> still stating that Allwinner will never be able to get code in the
> mainline

 i didn't say that.  apologies if that wasn't clear.

> after Olof and Maxime told you that they are already working,
> at least discussing with them.

 apologies, i missed that.  there's a lot i need to get up-to-speed,
in very little time.  i have some keywords to search for now i'll go
find those messages.

l.