[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 04:06:24 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> luke.leighton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 4 days? WTF? since when did setting an ultimatum to the kernel
>>> community work?
>>

>>   i was only informed of the opportunity 2 days ago, vladimir.  this is
>> an important meeting.  of course the linux kernel community is
>> entirely free to:
>>
>> * completely ignore this opportunity
>> * continue to complain that soc vendors do not follow their
>> unilaterally-decided rules
>

> SoC vendors are free to join the discussion, and many SoC vendors are part
> of the kernel community, so calling this unilateral is plain wrong.

 you're free to believe that, vladimir.  i've explained why that
hasn't happened, in prior messages.  can we move forward, please?

>>   3 days remaining on the clock.
>

> what catastrophic thing will happen when the time runs out?

 no catastrophe, vladimir: all that happens is that an opportunity is
lost, and the result of that is that the situation remains as it is,
with a major soc vendor being divorced from and isolated from the free
software community, who will continue to have to shoulder the
frustrating and isolated burden of responsibility of reworking
"over-the-fence" kernel patches as best they can with the limited
resources that they have.