Planning the merge of KVM/arm64

Christoffer Dall christoffer.dall at linaro.org
Tue Jun 4 11:43:13 EDT 2013

On 4 June 2013 08:30, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini at redhat.com> wrote:

>> That'd be my preferred choice too. Let's see what the KVM maintainers'
>> position on that.
>
> I wonder if Linus would complain about irrelevant KVM changes in
> Will/Catalin's pull request.  The KVM/next tree has other patches below
> the ones you need.
>
> What we usually do for x86 is get an Acked-by from the other part.  If
> there are no dependencies on other aarch64 core changes, it'd be better
> to go through the KVM tree.  Otherwise separating the Kconfig change
> should be okay (perhaps add it with depends on BROKEN, and remove the
> dependency later?).

Hi Paolo,

I don't think this is an issue. Gleb and Marcelo for example pulled
RMK's stable tree for my KVM/ARM updates for the 3.10 merge window and
that wasn't an issue.  If Linus pulls the kvm/next tree first the
diffstat should be similar and everything clean enough, no?

Catalin has previously expressed his wish to upstream the kvm/arm64
patches directly through him given the churn in a completely new
architecture and he wants to make sure that everything looks right.

It's a pretty clean implementation with quite few dependencies and
merging as a working series should be a priority instead of the
Kconfig hack, imho.

-Christoffer