Defining schemas for Device Tree

Tomasz Figa tomasz.figa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:16:56 EDT 2013

On Monday 29 of July 2013 02:21:52 Tomasz Figa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As promised I am starting a discussion about Device Tree schema. Let's
> first shortly introduce the problem.
>
> Device Tree is a text-based data structure used to describe hardware. Its
> main point is separation from kernel code, which has a lot of benefits,
> but, at the moment, also a huge drawback - there is no verification of
> device tree sources against defined bindings. All the dtc compiler does
> currently are syntax checks - no semantic analysis is performed (except
> some really basic things). What this means is that anybody can put
> anything in their device tree and end up with the dts compiling fine only
> to find out that something is wrong at boot time.
>
> Currently, device tree bindings are described in plain text documentation
> files, which can not be considered a formal way of binding description.
> While such documentation provides information for developers/users that
> need to work with particular bindings, it can not be easily used as input
> for validation of device tree sources. This means that we need to define a
> more formal way of binding description, in other words - Device Tree
> schema.
>
> To find a solution for this problem, we must first answer several
> questions to determine a set of requirements we have to meet.
>
> a) What is a device tree binding?
>
> For our purposes, I will define a binding as internal format of some
> device tree node, which can be matched using of_find_matching_node(). In
> other words, key for a binding would be node name and/or value of
> compatible property and/or node type. Value for a binding would be a list
> of properties with their formats and/or subnodes with their bindings.

Now as I think of it, there is one more thing that needs to be considered. Do
we want the schemas to strictly specify available set of properties, warning
about any unrecognized ones or just enforce checking of recognized properties
(including presence of required ones)? Or maybe both, depending on some
keyword or whatever?

> [...]
> conform to what I defined as binding and need device-specific parameters
> to become so.
>
> Let's consider first example taken from regulator subsystem.
>
> 	device {
> 		compatible = "foo,mydevice";
> 		/* ... */
> 		core-supply = <&regulator_a>;
> 		io-supply = <&regulator_b>;
> 		/* ... */
> 	};
>
> Bindings of regulator subsystem define the way of regulator lookup to be
> based on property matching following definition:
>
> 	#define REGULATOR(name) name ## _supply = <&phandle>
>
> As you can see, the binding is parametrized, i.e. part of it is defined
> globally, but part is device-specific. Similarly for pinctrl subsystem:
>
> 	device {
> 		compatible = "foo,mydevice";
> 		/* ... */
> 		pinctrl-names = "state0", "state1";
> 		pinctrl-0 = <&phandle>...;
> 		pinctrl-1 = <&phandle>...;
> 		/* ... */
> 	};
>
> This binding is now parametrized in a more complex way:
>
> 	#define PINCTRL(name0, name1, ..., nameN) \
> 		pinctrl-names = name0, name1, ..., nameN; \
> 		pinctrl-0 = <&phandle>...; \
> 		pinctrl-1 = <&phandle>...; \
> 		... \
> 		pinctrl-N = <&phandle>...;
>
> We need to have a way to describe this kind of inheritance, if we don't
> want to respecify generic attributes in all device bindings using them.
>
> d) When should the validation happen and what should handle it?
>
> In my opinion, similarly to compilation of board files, validation should
> be happening at dts compile time, to show any warnings or errors as early
> as possible.
>
> Whether this should be integrated into dtc or rather handled by external
> tool is another question. Since we are already processing device tree
> sources in dtc, it might be reasonable to reuse its dts parsing
> infrastructure and add validation there, especially that dtc is supposed
> to already contain some infrastructure for doing checks on device tree as
> well. Nothing stops us from running validation on already compiled dtbs,
> though, using an extra tool.
>
> e) What format should be used for Device Tree schema?
>
> This is a non-trivial problem. Key criteria I can think of are as follows:
>  - the whole set of information established above must be representable,
>  - human-readable, easy to create and edit (extend), preferably similar to
>    something already existing, so could be easily learnt,
>  - something that can be integrated with dtc with reasonable amount of
>    work or can reuse a lot (if not all) of already existing parsing code.
>
> Okay, this should be enough to have some discussion. I will post a
> follow-up with my proposal of schema format to separate general discussion
> from discussion about the proposal, but this will happen tomorrow, as now

Finally I didn't manage to post it yet, but this might be better, as there
have been a lot of interesting points in the discussion, which I'm now taking
into consideration, while writing a sample schema.

Best regards,
Tomasz