[v3 3/3] sata: imx: add ahci sata support on imx platforms

Zhu Richard-R65037 r65037 at freescale.com
Fri Jul 5 22:03:30 EDT 2013

Hi Tejun:
Thanks for your comments.

Best Regards
Richard Zhu
From: linux-ide-owner at vger.kernel.org [linux-ide-owner at vger.kernel.org] on behalf of Tejun Heo [tj at kernel.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 1:43 AM
To: Richard Zhu
Cc: shawn.guo at linaro.org; linux-arm-kernel at lists.infradead.org; jgarzik at pobox.com; avorontsov at ru.mvista.com; rob.herring at calxeda.com; s.hauer at pengutronix.de; linux-ide at vger.kernel.org; Zhu Richard-R65037
Subject: Re: [v3 3/3] sata: imx: add ahci sata support on imx platforms

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 05:52:22PM +0800, Richard Zhu wrote:
>  - CAP_SSS(bit20) of the HOST_CAP is writable, default
>  value is '0', should be configured to be '1'
>  - bit0 (only one AHCI SATA port on imx6q) of the
>  HOST_PORTS_IMPL should be set to be '1'.(default 0)
>  - One Vendor Specific register HOST_TIMER1MS(offset:0xe0)
>  should be configured regarding to the frequency of AHB
>  bus clock.
>  - Configurations of the AHCI PHY clock, and the signal
>  parameters of the GPR13

Can't you just add a platform specific init callback to ahci_platform?
I don't see how these small differences in init sequence justify a
separate driver.
[Richard] Just like what we dicussed in the previous v1/v2 patch-set.
Shawn has the concerns that the IP speicific codes shouldn't be put in the platform level.
So he suggested that setup a stand-alone driver, contained the imx6q ahci sata specific
codes, and re-use the generic ahci_platform driver as much as possible.
This imx6q standalone ahci sata driver just registers the platform data, and the others would be handled
by ahci_platform driver.

Thanks.

--
tejun