[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING 2/3] serial: omap: remove hwmod dependency

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Sat Feb 16 00:48:36 EST 2013

On Saturday 16 February 2013 11:06 AM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>
>> * Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar at ti.com> [130215 05:34]:

>>> It just waste of iospace and Tony insisted to have just single ioremap()
>>> hence all this discussion
>>
>> The main goal is to avoid duplicating data both in hwmod and DT.
>> That's pretty much solved as we can have the driver probe populate
>> the common data for hwmod from DT as Santosh has already demonstrated.
>>
>> Then we also want the driver specific idle and reset code to be done
>> in the drivers rather than in hwmod and glue it together with hwmod
>> using runtime PM. The biggest issue there is how do we reset and idle
>> some piece of hardware for PM purposes when there's no driver loaded.
>>
>> For the duplicate ioremapping, I don't think there's any need to
>> do it if we get things right.
>
> Note that if the ioremap matches a static map area there is no cost to
> ioremap it multiple times.

Thats true though now on OMAP we removed most of the static mappings.
The main issue is waste of IO space because, we end up mapping same
area two times for all the OMAP drivers. This can be optimized with
a arch ioremap caller hook but as discussed here, its nice to have
rather than something important.

Regards,
Santosh