Can't boot newer kernel on Armada 370 dev board

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Tue Dec 31 11:13:57 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 10:35:03AM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Andrew, Rodolfo,
>
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:52:40 +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
> > > U-Boot 2011.12 (Dec 24 2013 - 16:16:38) Marvell version: v2011.12 2013_Q3.0

> > > I see. Where can I get newer u-boot releases in order to avoid this
> > > problem? :-)
> >
> > From Marvell.
> >
> > It is also possible to modify the DT to use the old address. I think
> > there is a thread somewhere with Thomas Petazzoni telling somebody
> > what changes need to be made for Armada XP. 370 should be very
> > similar.
> >
> > Basically you need to change 0xF1000000 to 0xD0000000.
>
> No, that's the opposite.
>
> The mainline kernel uses 0xD0000000 for this board, because originally
> the Marvell Armada 370 DB was shipped with an old U-Boot, which was
> mapping registers at 0xD0000000.
>
> Apparently, they are now shipping these boards with a more recent
> version of U-Boot that uses 0xF1000000. Therefore, Rodolfo should
> change the kernel from 0xD0000000 to 0xF1000000.

Ah, O.K. Good to know.

I think we need to better document this. For example put a comment in
the top of each .dts file about the issues and which u-boot version is
known to work, and which version needs an alternative .dts file.
Maybe also how you can tell from a running system, eg what to look for
in /proc/iomem.

   Andrew