Possible arm64 patches for stable

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Dec 20 12:28:27 EST 2013

Hi,

While reading the kernel logs for arm64 (as one does) I noticed a few
patches that seemed like candidates for either LTS or LTSI.  I've also
had a couple of others mentioned via other routes.  What do you think of
these?

  4ecf7ccb1973 arm64: spinlock: retry trylock operation if strex fails on free lock

This seems like a correctness fix for spinlocks, though since the
callers should cope with failure it's arguably just an optimisation.

  53ae3acd4390 arm64: Only enable local interrupts after the CPU is marked online
  82b2f495fba3 arm64: virt: ensure visibility of __boot_cpu_mode
  845ad05ec31e arm64: Change kernel stack size to 16K
  6db83cea1c97 arm64: fix possible invalid FPSIMD initialization state
  7b22c03536a5 arm64: check for number of arguments in syscall_get/set_arguments()
  df503ba7f653 arm64: dts: Reserve the memory used for secondary CPU release address

These all look like correctness fixes of one kind or another; the change
to 16K stacks is poorly explained but it looks like it's fixing failures
of some kind.

  f0dd718090ae arm64: Remove unused cpu_name ascii in arch/arm64/mm/proc.S

A user was reporting that this caused build failures due to alignment
issues with some of the debug options turned on.  I've not fully
investigated yet, this might be a toolchain issue though given how
simple the change is.

  0d651e4e65e9 clocksource: arch_timer: use virtual counters

This is as mentioned in the changelog a correctness fix for avoiding
clocks going backwards and has also been found to be required to avoid
boot hangs with CONFIG_PROVE_RCU_DELAY enabled.

There were also a few others that aren't entirely -stable material but
might be a fit for LTSI (and the above might be if not -stable in
themselves):

  b5b6c9e9149d arm64: Avoid cache flushing in flush_dcache_page()
  7249b79f6b4c arm64: Do not flush the D-cache for anonymous pages
  4f00130b70e5 arm64: Use Normal NonCacheable memory for writecombine

These look like simple, localised optimisations.

Thanks,
Mark