gcc miscompiles csum_tcpudp_magic() on ARMv5

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Thu Dec 12 10:07:45 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 02:42:23PM +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Maxime Bizon <mbizon at freebox.fr> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 15:19 +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> >> I disagree here, since gcc may decide by itself to inline or not, it must
> >> not impact the validity of the emitted code. Inline functions have input
> >> and output types for a reason!
> >
> > but the code emitted is completely different for an inlined "occurence"
> > of the function and the non-inlined case.
> >
> > if a function does not use one of its argument, and it is inlined, then
> > in the resulting code you see no trace of it
>
> Again, that's an optimisation that does not alter the semantics of the code.
> Although the generated code looks very different, it does the same thing.

Agreed.

> >> Hmmm aren't you passing a 16-bit register directly to the ASM for being used
> >> as a 32-bit one ? This seems hasardous to me since nowhere you tell gcc how
> >> you're going to use the register.
> >
> > this is exactly what I'm complaining about, the arm code for
> > csum_tcpudp_nofold() in the kernel does exactly that.
> >
> >> Could you check if that fixes it :
> >>
> >>  static inline uint32_t asm_add(uint16_t len, uint32_t sum)
> >>  {
> >>          uint32_t len32 = len;
> >
> > or change the asm_add() proto to take an "uint32_t len" instead, and yes
> > of course that fixes it.
>
> It's a bug.  Please report it to the gcc developers.

Here I don't agree with the generalization (and believe me I swear all the
day about gcc's bugs). It's a matter of ABI and availability or not of 16
bit registers or not. If the ASM supports 16-bit regs and the compiler is
allowed to emit 16-bit regs, then gcc will have no way to know whether it
must zero-extend the value first. If it's specified that "r" is necessarily
a 32-bit register then it should. Maybe the issue is in the ABI itself, I
don't know if 16-bit values are supposed to be zero-extended only when
they're converted to 32-bit or also when they're passed as arguments. The
fact that it works without inline may simply be a side effect of the different
code (eg: 16 lower bits of the register copied into another one).

So one needs to look at the specs of the ABI to know where the 16-bit value
is supposed to be converted to 32-bit, then the faulty component must be
fixed (gcc or kernel code).

Regards,
Willy