[GIT PULL] make mach-omap2 boot with device tree only for v3.14

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 11:07:03 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:01:44AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> [131210 06:37]:
> > On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 06:42:27PM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > > We can now finally make mach-omap2 to boot with device tree only and get
> > > rid of over 20k lines of platform init code that way.
> > >
> > > Most basic devices already work using device tree based initialization
> > > and the remaining devices can be initialized using platform data
> > > with pdata-quirks.c.
> > >
> > > So for most missing boards it's just a question of adding a .dts file
> > > that should be fairly similar to one of the existing .dts files as
> > > we've tried to cover all basic omap3 board types.
> > >
> > > For people getting started updating their board files to for device
> > > tree, there are some basic instructions in commit 8dc8b3ddf5d7
> > > (ARM: OMAP2+: Remove legacy omap3 board-*.c files and make mach-omap2
> > > DT only for booting).
> > >
> > > Please also note that there are also some related fixes making their way
> > > into the mainline kernel that are needed for some use cases:
> > >
> > > PM off-idle for omap3 and wake-up events need the following two patches:
> >
> > While this is good, what seems to be happening is a complete switch
> > from one method of booting to a different method of booting with no
> > compatibility inbetween.  We're going from only supporting the ATAG
> > booting protocol for these platforms in v3.12 to only supporting the
> > DT booting protocol in v3.13.  There's no forward or backwards
> > compatibility - it's one or the other.
>
> Hmm hey this is for v3.14, not for v3.13.

Yes, I meant 3.14.

> > This is bad: this is the kind of "flag day" change which Linus hates -
> > and I hate it because it means I need to update my build test system
> > at the same time that arm-soc merges this stuff.
>
> Unfortunately there's no way around that unless we carry the legacy
> booting setup for longer. We can certainly postpone the flip over if
> if there's a real neeed to do it.
>
> But if the issue is just building an appended DTB image, I'd rather just
> get done with it as that problem we're always going to have no matter
> how much we delay the flip over.

Right, so I should just turn off building OMAP3 for the remainder of this
cycle.

What's the fscking point me running a build system, because if I switch
it now, OMAP3 breaks.  If I don't switch it now and your pull request is
merged, it breaks at that point.

This is utterly insane.