Boot time errors/warnings on snowball

Lee Jones lee.jones at linaro.org
Wed Dec 4 12:51:19 EST 2013

> >> I don't see this when booting from the stuff I sent for v3.14,
> >> but I know Mark applied some fixes from Lee yesterday,
> >> Lee can you see if you recognize this?
> >
> > It looks like whatever tree you're building from is missing this patch:
> >
> >   ARM: ux500: Add DMA config bindings for MSP devices
> >
> > Which is part of the initial reason I said this:
> >
> >   "If this patch-set could go through ASoC as a whole, it would drive
> >   down the chance of a dependency mess. Vinod has already provided
> >   Acks for his parts, so it's just between you two Linus and Mark."
> >
> > But in Mark's defence, I also tentatively said this:
> >
> >   "I'm not aware of any dependencies on the ARM changes. I haven't
> >   tested the arch/arm and sound/soc adaptions orthogonally, but I
> >   _think_ the right decisions should be made depending on the
> >   information passed from platform/dt code."
> >
> > But this error seems strange, as I thought we were still passing the
> > MSP stuff as AUXDATA for this very reason i.e. lack of DMA support. So
> > I assumed that the MSP driver(s) would take the platform data
> > route. At least until the AUXDATAs have been removed, which was my
> > next step.
>
> By the way, if these things keep happening, then it's an indicator
> that you should slow down the rate of change a bit and make sure
> things are tested properly. You get a lot of patches produced quickly,
> which is awesome, but please make sure things are coordinated and
> tested especially for the more complex and inter-dependent changes
> like these. If it needs to take another release (or just another week
> or two) to get something staged in the right order, then that's OK.

I know that you've had a bee in your bonnet about the rate of which I
sent patches for a while, but this instance has nothing to do with
rushing. This is merely an ordering issue and the speed in which
varying subsystems are merged into -next.

This is what -next is for though right? To identify these kinds of
decencies before they're merged into Mainline. So let's do something
about it now. I'm not sure what though, as I know that Mark isn't fond
of rebasing his tree.

Ideally we should have setup an immutable branch between ASoC and
either ux500 or ARM-SoC where both parties can pull from. That's what
Mark and I usually do when ASoC/Regulators and MFD have dependencies
on one another.

It might not even be an issue though. We just need to ensure that
Linus pulls from ARM-SoC prior to ASoC during the next merge
window. Can that be done?

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead