Boot time errors/warnings on snowball

Lee Jones lee.jones at linaro.org
Wed Dec 4 12:26:26 EST 2013

> > I noticed these with last night's -next on the snowball:
> >
> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
> > '/soc/msp at 80124000' missing or empty
> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
> > '/soc/msp at 80124000' missing or empty
> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
> > '/soc/msp at 80125000' missing or empty
> > of_dma_request_slave_channel: dma-names property of node
> > '/soc/msp at 80125000' missing or empty
> > dma dma0chan22: [d40_config_memcpy] No memcpy`
> > dma dma0chan22: [d40_alloc_chan_resources] Failed to configure memcpy channel
> > ux500-msp-i2s ux500-msp-i2s.1: Missing dma channel for stream: 0
> > ux500-msp-i2s ux500-msp-i2s.1: ASoC: pcm constructor failed: -22
>
> I don't see this when booting from the stuff I sent for v3.14,
> but I know Mark applied some fixes from Lee yesterday,
> Lee can you see if you recognize this?

It looks like whatever tree you're building from is missing this patch:

  ARM: ux500: Add DMA config bindings for MSP devices

Which is part of the initial reason I said this:

  "If this patch-set could go through ASoC as a whole, it would drive
  down the chance of a dependency mess. Vinod has already provided
  Acks for his parts, so it's just between you two Linus and Mark."

But in Mark's defence, I also tentatively said this:

  "I'm not aware of any dependencies on the ARM changes. I haven't
  tested the arch/arm and sound/soc adaptions orthogonally, but I
  _think_ the right decisions should be made depending on the
  information passed from platform/dt code."

But this error seems strange, as I thought we were still passing the
MSP stuff as AUXDATA for this very reason i.e. lack of DMA support. So
I assumed that the MSP driver(s) would take the platform data
route. At least until the AUXDATAs have been removed, which was my
next step.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead