[RFC] pwm: Add Freescale FTM PWM driver support

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Tue Dec 3 05:36:32 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 04:02:48AM +0000, Li Xiubo wrote:
> > > I'm sending the RFC patch about the FTM IP block registers read and
> > > write endian fix for comments and more parcticed ideas.
> > >
> > > In Vybird VF610 Tower, all the IP blocks expect LE data. In the LS-1,
> > > some of the IP blocks expect LE data, while others expect BE data. And
> > > the CPU always operates in LE mode in these two platforms.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on "expect BE data" please? Is this all registers
> > within a given device, or a subset thereof?
> > Are there data structures involved (i.e. buffers)?
> >

> It actually means big-endian mode, and it's all the registers and hasn't any
> buffers or descriptors involved within FTM IP block.
> But maybe in other IP blocks, such as eDMA and USB, should consider about the
> buffers/descriptors issue.

Ok. So all the registers are big-endian, and there are no memory
accesses to care about.

So for the binding for this device, we only have one property to worry
about -- the endianness of all registers.

> > > So now I must take care of all these two cases. I'm not very sure if
> > > there is other better ways to resolve this problem. In this patch I
> > > have implemented two functions fsl_pwm_readl() and fsl_pwm_writel() to
> > > replace readl() and writel(). At the same time there should add one
> > > "endianess" property in the DT file.
> >
> > If you're adding DT properties, binding updates are helpful to describe
> > their intended use.
> >

> Yes, that surely will be added later.

Ok. I'd like to see that at the same time as the patch modifying the
driver.

> > > +static inline u32 fsl_pwm_readl(struct fsl_pwm_chip *fpc, void
> > > +__iomem *reg) {
> > > +       u32 val;
> > > +
> > > +       val = __raw_readl(reg);
> > > +
> > > +       if (fpc->endianess == FTM_BIG)
> > > +               return be32_to_cpu(val);
> > > +       else
> > > +               return le32_to_cpu(val); }
> > > +
> > > +static inline void fsl_pwm_writel(struct fsl_pwm_chip *fpc, u32 val,
> > > +               void __iomem *reg)
> > > +{
> > > +       if (fpc->endianess == FTM_BIG)
> > > +               val = cpu_to_be32(val);
> > > +       else
> > > +               val = cpu_to_le32(val);
> > > +
> > > +       __raw_writel(val, reg);
> > > +}
> >
> > Using the __raw variants also loses you the memory barriers. Does this
> > create any ordering issues in the rest of the driver?
> >

> No, I had checked about this, so I just droped them.
> Maybe it will be much better and safer if there are some memory barriers.

If you've checked, is it safe or is it not?

> > > +static int fsl_pwm_probe(struct platform_device *pdev) {
> > > +       int ret;
> > > +       const char *endianess;
> > > +       struct fsl_pwm_chip *fpc;
> > > +       struct resource *res;
> > > +       struct device_node *np = pdev->dev.of_node;
> > > +
> > > +       fpc = devm_kzalloc(&pdev->dev, sizeof(*fpc), GFP_KERNEL);
> > > +       if (!fpc)
> > > +               return -ENOMEM;
> > > +
> > > +       mutex_init(&fpc->lock);
> > > +
> > > +       fpc->chip.dev = &pdev->dev;
> > > +
> > > +       ret = fsl_pwm_parse_clk_ps(fpc);
> > > +       if (ret < 0)
> > > +               return ret;
> > > +
> > > +       if (of_property_read_string(np, "endianess", &endianess))
> > > +               pr_warning("missing \"endianess\" property, "
> > > +                               "the FTM IP block is little "
> > > +                               "endian as default\n");
> > > +       else if (!strcmp("big", endianess))
> > > +               fpc->endianess = FTM_BIG;
> >
> > Please don't do this.
> >
> > One option is to have a new compatible string -- a big-endian device can't
> > be poked in the same way as its little-endian variants, so they're not
> > compatible. You can then associate some data with the compatible strings to
> > figure out which accessors to use.
> >

> Do you mean:
> + static const struct of_device_id fsl_pwm_dt_ids[] = {
> +        { .compatible = "fsl,vf610-ftm-pwm,big-endian", },
> +        { .compatible = "fsl,vf610-ftm-pwm,little-endian", },
> +        { /* sentinel */ }
> + };  ?

That's one option. Something like that would be fine. Then you could
store flags in of_device_id::data to tell you which accessors to use.

> Or just adding one property in DT file likes:
> 			pwm0: pwm at 40038000 {
> 				compatible = "fsl,vf610-ftm-pwm";
> 				#pwm-cells = <3>;
> 				reg = <0x40038000 0x1000>;
> 				clock-names = "ftm0", "ftm0_fix_sel", "ftm0_ext_sel";
> 				clocks = <&clks VF610_CLK_FTM0>,
> 					<&clks VF610_CLK_FTM0_FIX_SEL>,
> 					<&clks VF610_CLK_FTM0_EXT_SEL>;
> +				big-endian;       ---> both registers and buffers/descriptors
> Or
> +				big-endian-regs;  ---> registers
> +				big-endian-desc;  ---> buffers or descriptors

As you've described above, in this case we don't need to make the
distinction. Other bindings seem to have a "big-endian" boolean property
for this case.

It's probably best to align with the existing bindings and use a
"big-endian" boolean property.

Thanks,
Mark.