[Suggestion] ARM: allmodconfig: about cross compiling failure under i386 ubuntu.

Chen Gang gang.chen at asianux.com
Thu Aug 22 06:15:04 EDT 2013

On 08/22/2013 05:19 PM, Chen Gang wrote:
> On 08/22/2013 03:45 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> * Chen Gang <gang.chen at asianux.com> [130821 01:53]:
>>> Hello Maintainers:
>>>
>>> When build arm with allmodconfig under ubuntu i386 with arm-linux-
>>> gnueabi-gcc 4.7, as 2.22, it report the errors.
>>>
>>> Please help check, thanks (the related config file in attachment).
>>
>> It seems that some make flags may need to be specified separately
>> in some makefiles. See the following for some examples:
>>
>> $ find arch/arm -name Makefile | xargs grep -i flags
>>
>> I'm getting different errors though, I'm getting:
>>
>> arch/arm/mach-zynq/hotplug.c:1: error: bad value (cortex-a9) for -mcpu= switch
>>
>> As probably my compiler does not support the cortex-a9 switch,
>> I have gcc version 4.3.5 (Debian 4.3.5-4), tried with v3.11-rc5.

Maybe your case is different with my case (but may be the same solving
ways).

After compare the 'flags', for my case, the root cause is:

  "for allmodconfig, it will enable CPU_V6 which VEXPRESS doesn't support".

  after disable CPU_V6 after allmodconfig, it can pass compiling:
    ("System type" -> "Multiple platform selection" -> "ARMv6 based platforms").

Welcome any additional suggestions or completions, if no additional
reply, I will try to send the related patch tomorrow. :-)

Thanks.

--
Chen Gang

--