MVEBU and MVNETA driver

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Mon Apr 22 05:08:03 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:19:41AM +0200, Greg wrote:
> I'm using SLAB allocator.
> As for offloading, I can't seem to be able to turn it on :
> >$ ethtool -K eth0 gro on
> >Cannot set device GRO settings: Operation not supported
> >$ ethtool -K eth0 gso on
> >Cannot set device generic segmentation offload settings: Operation not
> >supported
> Default values :
> >$ ethtool -k eth0
> >Offload parameters for eth0:
> >rx-checksumming: off
> >tx-checksumming: on
> >scatter-gather: on
> >tcp-segmentation-offload: off
> >udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> >generic-segmentation-offload: off
> >generic-receive-offload: off
> >large-receive-offload: off
> >rx-vlan-offload: off
> >tx-vlan-offload: off
> >ntuple-filters: off
> >receive-hashing: off
>
> I can see 1 difference between our setups, Mirabox has an Armada370, I
> have an ArmadaXP, it would be interesting to know what Gregory is using.

OK so I guess you have a kernel version prior to 3.9-rc7. There is a bug
in the driver which causes it to report tx cksum and sg but they're not
enabled. You need to disable then enable them :

  ethtool -K eth0 tx off
  ethtool -K eth0 sg off
  ethtool -K eth0 tx on
  ethtool -K eth0 sg on

Then you can enable gso/gro. And that clearly explains a significant
performance difference.

> Another difference on my setup, and something I wanted to report you :
> there is no PHY on my system. I had to instantiate a dummy PHY in the
> device tree blob and bind it to the mvneta driver because it would fail
> at init without PHY.

I think this is more something for Thomas then.

Regards,
Willy