Removal of NWFPE in its entirety, and VFP emulation code

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Apr 10 17:04:31 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:46:50PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:
> > Oh fuck off, just really fuck off you total dickface.  Really, do you
> > think that I, being the one who created the VFP support code, haven't
> > read the VFP documentation?  Christ, you are fucking thick.
>
> I'll ignore the insults for now, but you really should consider watching
> your tone if you want to be taken seriously.

Really?  After you accused me of not reading the documentation?  What
planet are you on?  Planet lunacy?  *You* need to learn some bloody
respect.

> > Subarchitecture, bits [22:16]
> > 0b0000011
> > VFP architecture v3 or later with Null subarchitecture. The entire floating-point
> > implementation is in hardware, and no software support code is required. The
> > VFP architecture version is indicated by the MVFR0 and MVFR1 registers.
> > This value can be used only by an implementation that does not support the trap
> > enable bits in the FPSCR, see Floating-point Status and Control Register
> > (FPSCR) on page A2-28.
>
> This means merely that the implementation never traps on things like
> denormal inputs or over/underflow.  It has nothing to do with vector
> support.

Wrong.  The VFP subarchitecture defines the interface between *VFP
hardware* and the *VFP support code*.  I suggest you read carefully the
chapter in the ARM ARM *before* you make any further comment, and make
yourself look any more a fool than you already do.