[RFT/PATCH] serial: omap: prevent resume if device is not suspended.

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Sep 25 07:15:06 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:11:14PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> that's most likely, of course. But should we cause a regression to
> beagleboard XM because of that ? Also, if you look into chapter 9 of the
> runtime_pm documentation, starting on line 822 you'll see documentation
> suggests the use of mystruct->is_suspended flag.

BTW, I'll point out a fatal flaw in your justification above.

If you read the entire example, you'll see that the is_suspended flag
is _not_ used to prevent resumes without suspends, but is used as a
flag to control whether the driver processes requests or not.  That's
entirely functionally different from using a "is_suspended" flag in
the way you mention above.

Section 5 is quite clear about the requirements at initialization time
for runtime PM, and nothing in section 9 contradicts that, and the
is_suspended flag in that example has nothing to do with any of this.