[RFT/PATCH] serial: omap: prevent resume if device is not suspended.

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Sep 25 05:21:18 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:11:14PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:12:28AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > > that was tested. It worked in pandaboard but didn't work on beagleboard
> > > XM. Sourav tried to start a discussion about that, but it simply died...
> > >
> > > In any case, pm_runtime_get_sync() in probe will always call
> > > runtime_resume callback, right ?
> >
> > Well, if the runtime PM state says it's suspended, and then you enable
> > runtime PM, the first call to pm_runtime_get_sync() will trigger a resume
> > attempt.  The patch description is complaining about resume events without
> > there being a preceding suspend event.
> >
> > This could well be why.
>
> that's most likely, of course. But should we cause a regression to
> beagleboard XM because of that ?

What would cause a regression on beagleboard XM?  I have not suggested
any change other than more investigation of the issue and a fuller patch
description - yet you're screaming (idiotically IMHO) that mere
investigation would break beagleboard.

Well, if it's _that_ fragile, that mere investigation of this issue by
someone elsewhere on the planet would break your beagleboard, maybe it
deserves to be broken!