[GIT PULL V5 0/7] ARM: kirkwood/dove/mvebu changes for v3.7

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Sat Sep 22 18:29:10 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 02:36:42PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 01:15:54PM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > Arnd, Olof,
> >
> > Changes from V3/V4 (only one pullrq reached V4).
> >  - split kirkwood/dt into /dt and /drivers.
> >  - /drivers now holds pinctrl and gpio
> >  - dropped ehci-orion dt bindings until next window
> >  - reworked dependency matrix
> >
> > Dep tree:
> >
> >         /--kirkwood/addr_decode--kirkwood/drivers
> >         |--kirkwood/dt--kirkwood/cleanup--kirkwood/platform_data
> >         |                                /
> >         /                 /-------------/
> > v3.6-rc5--kirkwood/boards-|
> >                           \--kirkwood/defconfig
>
> Thanks for reorganizing the branches so quickly!

No problem.  I'm starting to get the hang of it.

> If there's one thing I would request next time is to try to get
> the cleanup branch closer to the base, and for example including the
> annotation cleanups from the addr_decode branch in it. But it's not a big
> deal this time around since I ended up doing things a little different
> at our end.

Must be a mis-understanding on my end.  The one patch in /cleanup
depended on a patch in /dt.  Is there a better name for a branch topic
like that?  Or, should I have just included that patch in /dt?  It was
just removing unneeded includes.

> So, I've done something that we normally try to avoid, and merged all
> of these branches into one branch in arm-soc as late/kirkwood, that is
> based on next/cleanup and next/multiplatform.
>
> The main reason for this is that there's a bunch of minor conflicts
> with the sweeping changes that went across the tree, and sorting them
> all out in one place is easier than doing it in multiple places. We'll
> end up merging kirkwood after the other branches but there shouldn't be
> any significant risk of it not making it in since there are no external
> dependencies that will hold us up.

I'm glad we held off on cache-l2x0. ;-)

> This's not something we want to do often, since it defeats the purpose
> of how we organize our tree to show common efforts across platforms.
>
> To have avoided this, you should probably have used some of the cleanup
> branches from arm-soc as starting points of your branches. For example the
> cleanup pieces of addr_decode branch conflicts with the cleanup/io-pci
> in arm-soc, so using the cleanup/io-pci branch as base would have
> allowed you to resolve the conflicts when applying the patches.

I was going to try doing this tonight, but you beat me to it. ;-)  For
future reference, you mean:

$ git checkout -b kirkwood/addr_decode v3.6-rc5
$ git remote update arm-soc
$ git merge arm-soc/cleanup/io-pci
$ git am ...

right?

> Also, if you want to get a feel for what we will have to do at our end to
> resolve merge conflicts in your branches when you send us pull requests,
> feel free to do trial-merges of your branches into our for-next branch. Some
> other maintainers do this as a heads up and gives us their preference of
> conflict resolution.

Ahh, I merged mine together to check for conflicts, I'll take it all the
way next time.

> Does that makes sense? Apologies for going back and forth a bit on this, we've
> had a bit more across-all-platforms sweeping changes than usual this release
> cycle so things have been a bit more complex than in a while.

No problem at all, thanks for being patient with me.

> I have done basic build testing of the Marvell configs to make sure that things
> pass cleanly, and did one small fixup patch at the top of late/kirkwood to fix
> one problem.
>
> The one area where I'd like you to double-check my work and make sure that
> things aren't broken is on the PCI stuff: There were changes in the pci
> cleanup branch of how the IO is mapped, and some of the memory layouts
> were modified and required fixups between that and the annotation cleanup
> in the addr_decode branch.

Andrew, Thomas, Sebastian, do you guys have some time to test?  I'll hit
Dreamplug for kirkwood, can you guys cover orion5x, dove, and mvebu?

arm-soc/late/kirkwood boots on Dreamplug, so

Tested-By: Jason Cooper <jason at lakedaemon.net>

thx,

Jason.