[PATCH V4] Add support for Aurora L2 Cache Controller
gregory.clement at free-electrons.com
Fri Sep 21 03:46:07 EDT 2012
This a the 4th version of the patch set (the fifth if we include the
RFC). This last series add little change after the review of
Russell King. See the end of this email for the changelog.
The purpose of this patch set is to add support for Aurora L2 Cache
Controller used by Armada 370 and Armada XP SoCs. As it was initially
designed by Marvell engineer to be compatible with the ARM L2 Cache
Controller, we chose to reuse the existing code and to just extend it
to support the differences and improvements brought by the Aurora
controller.The diffstat looks like:
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/l2cc.txt | 9 +
arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-370.dtsi | 6 +
arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-xp.dtsi | 7 +
arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/cache-aurora-l2.h | 55 +++++
arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/cache-l2x0.h | 5 +
arch/arm/mach-mvebu/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/arm/mach-mvebu/irq-armada-370-xp.c | 4 +
arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.c | 281 ++++++++++++++++++++---
8 files changed, 340 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)
The main differences and improvements are:
- no cache id part number available through hardware (need to get it
by the DT).
- always write through mode available.
- two flavors of the controller 'outer cache' and 'system cache' (the
last one meaning maintenance operations on L1 are broadcasted to the
L2 and L2 performs the same operation).
- in outer cache mode, the cache maintenance operations are improved
and can be done on a range inside a page and are not limited to a
- during resume the controller need to restore the ctrl register.
The first patch adds some modifications in the driver
infrastructure. As most of the outer cache functions can use the
Aurora improvements, we had to introduce new functions. So we thought
it was better to use a outer_cache_fns field inside l2x0_of_data and
just memcopy it into outer_cache depending of the type of the l2x0
V3 -> V4:
- Rebased L2 pach set onto v3.6-rc6.
- The assignment of outer_cache in l2x0_init, don't depend of
CONFIG_OF but of variable. The value of this boolean variable is
changed in l2x0_of_init. Then, if a system enable CONFIG_OF don't
supply a DT file, relying on the old way to initialize the L2 cache,
the assignment won't be disable.
- Removed unnecessary check in calc_range_end(). The alignment tested
was already made before calling this function.
V2 -> V3:
- Use define instead of literal value for AURORA_CTRL_FW,
AURORA_WAY_SIZE_SHIFT, L2X0_WAY_SIZE_SHIFT and L2X0_CTRL_EN.
- Used ALIGN, IS_ALUGNED and PAGE_ALIGN macro instead of bitwise
- Calculate the number of way for Aurora instead of using a switch
- removed inaccurate BUG() call and replaced them by a pr_warn if
- In aurora_inv_range round the start and end addresses to cache line
size. The initial code was supposed to invalidate partial line cache
but actually invalidate the full line, so there was no point to do
it outside the aurora_pa_range call.
- Removed the dsb call in the aurora_*_range function: the
cache_sync() call inside aurora_pa_range() is enough.
- And as usual tested on Armada 370 and Armada XP boards and ran
benchmark without seeing any regression. Results are updated on the
V1 -> V2:
- Rebased L2 pach set onto v3.6-rc4.
- Changed the compatible names to be more explicit, from
aurora-cache-with-outer to aurora-outer-cache , and from
aurora-cache-without-outer to aurora-system-cache.
- Add an isb() after the call to mcr in aurora_broadcast_l2_commands().
- Added the tested and reviewed-by from Lior Amsalem and Yehuda
- Tested on Armada 370 and Armada XP boards and ran benchmark without
seeing any regression.
RFC -> V1:
- Rebased the series on to V3.6-rc3
- Added missing Signed-off-by
- Corrected a compilation warning that I have missed
- Ran benchmarks without seeing any regression
Benchmarks results are visible here:
The git branch aurora-L2-cache-ctrl is visible at
More information about the linux-arm-kernel