Tracking down suspend/resume ext3/mmc issues on imx233

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Wed Sep 19 19:23:49 EDT 2012

On Mon 2012-09-10 12:33:45, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:11:48AM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be better if the root filesystem was marked as
> > non-removable in the device tree - or in the case of a truly removable
> > card, just marked in the MMC subsystem - and the MMC subsystem skipped
> > the "it could be removed" for suspend/resume operations?
>
> I agree, this makes a lot of sense.  If the root file system
> disappears, you're toasted either way, so it's fair to assume that the
> device on which the root file system is located should is
> non-removable.

I'm not sure I agree.

If you treat root fs as removable, you'll get "crash". You'll need to
replay the journal, but data is safe.

If you treat it as non-removable, and someone manages to remove it,
mount, and reinsert, you'll get silent data corruption.

If the card is not removable, mark it as such...
									Pavel