Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found

Ellis Andrew ajellisuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 12:18:22 EDT 2012

Hi,

After a lot of searching with Google I have found this is a common
problem, unfortunately none of the solutions I have found, fix the
problem.

The original error I got was:

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

The command line option was:
root=/dev/mtdblock3 rootfstype=jffs2 rw console=ttyMCS mem=64M at 0x0

I after digging around with google, I found a suggestion which I tried, I made my command line:
root=/dev/mtdblock3 rootfstype=jffs2 rw console=ttyMCS mem=64M at 0x0 init=/sbin/init panic=4

But I now get the following error:

Freeing init memory: 88K
Failed to execute /sbin/init.  Attempting defaults...
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I can see that the Root drive is being mounted.

The contents of the init file is:

#!/bin/busybox ash
/bin/busybox mount -t sysfs /dev/sys /sys
/bin/busybox mount -t proc  /proc
/bin/busybox mount -t devpts /dev/pts
# Populate /dev according to /sys
/bin/busybox mdev -s
/bin/busybox --install -s
/linuxrc
exec /sbin/init "$@"   </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this please?

Kind regards

Andrew Ellis