[Query] Does u-boot processes dtb file

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at de.bosch.com
Fri Sep 14 03:35:30 EDT 2012

On 14.09.2012 09:16, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 14 September 2012 12:38, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme at de.bosch.com> wrote:
>> Working with U-Boot, to my understanding U-Boot modifies ('patches') the dtb
>> read from the boot device before passing it to the kernel. It e.g. adds the
>> kernel command line and the memory size you specify in U-Boot to the dtb.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> But, if this information is also embedded in the dts earlier, will my workaround
> of filling r2 work?

I think so, but I never tried it. It's on my todo list to try this ;) If
you add all the information needed in the dts file and the resulting dtb
file is identical to the 'patched' dtb U-Boot passes to the kernel,
there should be no difference (?).

> Is filling bootargs and memory size the only stuff or some other things too?

I'm not totally sure on this. You could debug this: (a) Take the dtb
file from your boot device. (b) dump the dtb file U-Boot passes to the
kernel (i.e. do a memory dump from the pointer U-Boot passes in r2).
Compare (a) and (b) with a binary diff.

Best regards

Dirk