GCC 4.6.x miscompiling arm-linux?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Tue Sep 11 06:37:43 EDT 2012

Dear Mikael,

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:41:08 +0200
Mikael Pettersson <mikpe at it.uu.se> wrote:

> [...]
>  > >  >
>  > >  > The newest angstrom (next) toolchain has gcc version 4.5.3, and it produces
>  > >  > this (correct) output:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > flexcan_chip_start:
>  > >  >         @ Function supports interworking.
>  > >  >         @ args = 0, pretend = 0, frame = 0
>  > >  >         @ frame_needed = 0, uses_anonymous_args = 0
>  > >  >         @ link register save eliminated.
>  > >  >         mov     r3, #0
>  > >  >         cmp     r0, #9
>  > >  >         str     r3, [r1, #0]
>  > >  >         mov     r0, #0
>  > >  >         strgt   r3, [r1, #4]
>  > >  >         bx      lr
>  > >  >         .size   flexcan_chip_start, .-flexcan_chip_start
>  > >  >         .ident  "GCC: (GNU) 4.5.3 20110311 (prerelease)"
>  > >  >         .section        .note.GNU-stack,"",%progbits
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Anyone knows where I can download a pre-built toolchain for 32-bit linux that
>  > >  > is based on gcc-4.6 and/or gcc-4.7 to try out?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I have quite a hard time believing this issue is a yet unknown bug in GCC...
>  > >  > I'd rather believe that I lack sufficient GCC knowledge to know how to
>  > >  > correctly tell the compiler that this is a memory-IO operation. Anyone knows
>  > >  > how to do this correctly? Or to explain why the output of gcc-4.6 looks less
>  > >  > optimal than the output of older versions of GCC?
>  > >
>  > > Well, my toolchain generates:
>  > >
>  > > flexcan_chip_start:
>  > >         @ args = 0, pretend = 0, frame = 0
>  > >         @ frame_needed = 0, uses_anonymous_args = 0
>  > >         @ link register save eliminated.
>  > >         mov     r3, #0
>  > >         cmp     r0, #9
>  > >         str     r3, [r1, #0]
>  > >         mov     r0, #0
>  > >         strgt   r3, [r1, #4]
>  > >         bx      lr
>  > >         .size   flexcan_chip_start, .-flexcan_chip_start
>  > >         .ident  "GCC: (GNU) 4.6.3 20120706 (Brewer Linux 4.6.3-3)"
>  > >
>  > > which looks correct.
>  >
>  > This is indeed strange. I have tried with unpatched gcc-4.6.3,
>  > OSELAS.Toolchain gcc 4.6.2 and linaro gcc 4.6.3 (see my previous e-mail to
>  > the list), and they all produce wrong results.
>  > Can you tell me where I can get your toolchain (Brewer Linux)? It also looks
>  > like your version is patched somehow (version number ends in -3). What patches
>  > are included in this version?
>
> The toolchain isn't published anywhere, it's my private branch with lots
> of backported upstream fixes. It's not based on Linaro/Ubuntu sources.
>
> The "-3" in the version number is a package rev generated by the .src.rpm.
>
> I can make the patches available if there's confirmation that a vanilla

I am pretty sure this is the case... do you have a patch series that you can
easily tar and mail to me? I'd like to try those patches with OSELAS, to see
if I can indeed build a gcc-4.6.3 toolchain that generates correct code.... I
already know that I can generate one that doesn't ;-)

>  > > Your bug may be a consequence of using an antique gcc, how that gcc was
>  > > configured, or "OSELAS/PTXdist" may have applied a broken patch to their
>  > > gcc sources. When in doubt, _alway_ report suspected gcc problems to whoever
>  > > supplied you with your gcc binaries.
>  >
>  > Yes, the guys from OSELAS/Pengutronix are in CC (at least Sascha was from the
>  > beginning). OSELAS is based on PTXdist, and as such does not distribute
>  > binaries, but rather as build-scripts (recipes) a la gentoo.
>  >
>  > > If you do decide to report this to gcc.gnu.org's bugzilla, be prepared to:
>  > > 1: first reproduce the bug with a gcc built from unmodified gcc 4.6.3, 4.7.1,
>  > >    or 4.8 sources -- older gccs are unmaintained and unsupported by upstream,
>  >
>  > I think I already did. I just changed the version string in OSELAS.Toolchain
>  > script from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3. AFAIK (Sascha may confirm) this should
>  > automatically build an unpatched version of gcc-4.6.3, since the PTXdist patch
>  > series exists only for gcc-4.6.2. It worked, and it produced wrong code.
>  > Should I call the GCC police?
>
> If you're sure no add-on patches were applied, then yes please do.

Pretty sure, but not 100%, so I'd like to try your patches first if you don't
mind....

>  >
>  > > 2: include the output of gcc -v which tells how that gcc was configured,
>  > > 3: give the exact set of gcc options used then compiling the test case.
>  >
>  > That should be easy.
>  >
>  > > In this case the test case is so small it's not a problem, but in general
>  > > self-contained executable tests that generate explicit runtime errors in
>  > > case they were mis-compiled are preferred over tests that require a human
>  > > to analyze the generated assembly code.
>  >
>  > That's understandable, and probably a good explanation as of why this bug may
>  > have slipped so far through in the first place: not enough people looking at
>  > the assembly output generated by the compiler, and thus not noticing that it
>  > produces code that is wrong but produces correct results if it can be executed
>  > without bus-errors. It could get noticed in code-efficiency tests though,
>  > since it is a tad less optimal than what both older and newer versions of GCC
>  > produce :-)

Best regards,

--
David Jander