Perf doesn't support coresight or it doesn't read the PMU registers on Pandaboard Rev.A2

Shilimkar, Santosh santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Fri Sep 7 07:35:52 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Vanni Genua <vannigenua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm testing a Pandaboard (OMAP4430, ARMv7) with Linux kernel 3.0.27-rt46
> installed on it.
> The following instruction is not working due to unsupported cache-misses
> event.
> #perf stat -e cache-misses echo "Hello"
> Performance counter stats for 'echo "Hello" ':
>
>    <not supported> cache-misses
>
>        0.007507575 seconds time elapsed
>
> How to solve this problem?
> Is there any patch for Perf o Linux kernel?

You are missing some patches which recently got sorted out
to get PMU event work on OMAP.

Patches are against the latest tree, you can find on Jon's
tree [1]

They are against Linux 3.6-rc2, so you may have to back-port them
to get counters working on 3.0.X kernel.

Regards
Santosh

[1] https://github.com/jonhunter/linux/tree/dev-pmu