[GIT PULL v3] Renesas ARM-based SoC: Marzen and r8a7779 for 3.7

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Sep 5 19:13:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 05:20:39PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,
>
> please consider the following enhancements to the Marzen board
> and r8a7779 SoC by Phil Edworthy, Morimoto-san and myself for 3.7.
>
> This pull-request differs from v2 in that USB-related changes
> have been omitted and the pull-request is no longer based on usb-next.

> The following changes since commit fea7a08acb13524b47711625eebea40a0ede69a0:
>
>   Linux 3.6-rc3 (2012-08-22 13:29:06 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git marzen
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 978792e04b58985eda62aa8cc97c6d46433103f2:
>
>   ARM: shmobile: marzen: enable thermal sensor (2012-09-05 10:22:48 +0900)

Hi,

This is the first pull request that has a few patches on the same branch,
so while it's something I was thinking about on previous pull request,
for this one it's more obvious. So here we go :-)

For background, we tend to organize the arm-soc tree a little different from
how some other maintainer trees are organized, to aggregate work across vendor
branches and make it more obvious which kind of patches are adding and removing
cod ein the tree.

Our organization of the arm-soc tree is in a few broad topics that cut across
all platforms. They tend to be, in rough order:

* Fixes that weren't critical for the previous release (fixes-non-critical)
* Cleanups that removes or refactors code
* New SoC support or major updates
* SoC drivers updates
* board support / changes
* defconfigs
* device tree

+ sometimes other special topic branches depending on what's going on that
merge window, like pinctrl updates (SoC side) or clock updates.

You can have one branch depend/build on top of another, we can normally resolve
those dependencies. We prefer them in the same rough order as above to avoid
cyclical dependencies between different vendors though.

So, on your branch:

You seem to be organizing your branches more along the topics of which chip
they relate to, for example Marzen and r8a7779 above. That worked out well when
there were only one or two patches per branch since we could just file them
into the area where we consider they fit (i.e. see my replies to those emails
about where they fit in).

This is the first larger branch, and I think you should split it up to:

> Kuninori Morimoto (2):
>       ARM: shmobile: marzen: fixup regulator id for smsc911x
>       ARM: shmobile: marzen: enable thermal sensor

Those are board updates

> Phil Edworthy (2):
>       r8a7779: add SDHI clock support

SoC update since it seems to mostly be clock related.

>       marzen: add SDHI0 support

defconfig for part of the change, board for the other. Why was I/DNOTIFY
updated in the defconfig, by the way?

> Simon Horman (1):
>       ARM: mach-shmobile: marzen: defconfig update

This would fit on a defconfig branch as well.

For future pull request as well, feel free to think about how the patches
would fit into similar topics to above as well and organize them as such
at your level too. If you want several branches of the same kind, that's
no problem, but it's by far preferrably if they're organized along the
rouch topics above.

-Olof