[GIT PULL] Renesas ARM-based SoC defconfig for v3.8

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Mon Oct 22 10:12:19 EDT 2012

(adding Nico, who did a lot of the work to get rid of PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET)

On Monday 22 October 2012, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 09:33:51AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:

> > > ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT should take care of this, have you tried it?
>
> I believe that this leaves mach-shmobile with three areas
> where CONFIG_MEMORY_START/PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET is used.

Hmm, I just noticed that in fact shmobile is the only remaining
platform that uses CONFIG_MEMORY_START with a per-board or per-soc
setting.

> * arch/arm/mach-shmobile/headsmp.S
>
>   This uses PLAT_PHYS_OFFSET.
>
>   I believe this can be replaced with a run-time calculation. Though I
>   haven't thought about the details yet.
>
> * arch/arm/boot/compressed/head-shmobile.S
>
>   This makes use of CONFIG_MEMORY_START.
>
>   This is only used if CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM is set.
>
>   I'm unsure if this can be replaced with a run-time calculation or not.
>   But regardless it is only used if CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM is set, which is not
>   the default at this time.

Right, you can probably make CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_MMCIF and
CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_SH_MOBILE_SDHI depend on !ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT

> * arch/arm/mach-shmobile/Makefile.boot
>
>  This makes use of CONFIG_MEMORY_START to set zreladdr.
>
>  I believe that the solution to this is to make use of CONFIG_AUTO_ZRELADDR.
>  However, it is not yet clear to me how that can be used in conjunction
>  with a uImage.  As I understand it the boot loader on many of our boards,
>  including the Marzen board which is my first target for this work, boot
>  uImage imagess.

If this doesn't work, we probably also need to find a solution to
build multiple uImage files from the same vmlinux when building a
multiplatform kernel.

	Arnd