3.7-rc-1 Release Causing application failure for compilation

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Thu Oct 18 14:39:30 EDT 2012

Hello Prabhakar Lad,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 09:49:34PM +0530, Prabhakar Lad wrote:
> I have updated to 3.7-rc1 kernel version with latest head with
> commit-id 43c422eda99b894f18d1cca17bcd2401efaf7bd0
> but when I try to cross compile the Application I am getting following errors.
>
> /home/plad/ti/linus/linus/include/linux/types.h:14:26: error:
> conflicting types for 'fd_set'
> /home/plad/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/include/sys/select.h:78:5:
> note: previous declaration of 'fd_set' was here
> /home/plad/ti/linus/linus/include/linux/types.h:15:25: error:

[snip]

> I use the codesourcery toolchain for cross compiling the applications
> for ARM. The same compiler is used to  build the uImage for ARM, but
> when I try building the apps I see this issue. Can any help me out in
> fixing this.

It seems that you are including kernel headers directly in your userspace
code. Don't do that. Types defined in kernel headers conflict with types
defined in your toolchain's kernel headers. Instead, just use the headers that
are part of your toolchain, which in turn include kernel headers that your
toolchain was built with.

baruch