[GIT PULL] Renesas ARM-based SoC defconfig for v3.8

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Wed Oct 17 20:58:11 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 01:42:29PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2012, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,
> >
> > please consider the following defconfig enhancements for 3.8.
>
> These look good to me, but I wonder what happened to the plan to reduce
> the number of defconfig files we discussed before. Since you can build
> a combined kernel that runs on all (or most) of the supported boards,
> can you add a combined shmobile_defconfig that is able to work on
> a wide variety of hardware and drop some of the less common defconfig
> files?
>
> Most of the modern platforms nowadays have just one defconfig that
> covers everything.

Hi Arnd,

I wonder if such consolidation only makes sense for boards that
make use of DT. If so, I can see that we may be able to come
up with a single configuration for the Armadillo800eva, KZM9G
and KZM9D boards. But not for older boards such as the Mackerel which
have not been converted to use DT.

I am also wondering if more of the drivers that SH Mobile uses need to
become DT aware before a consolidated configuration can work.  In
particular, I am thinking about the SCI serial driver and the location of
the serial port that can be used for serial console and early printk - this
features in the kernel command line of the per-board defconfigs and is
relied on by developers.