[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/2] DMA-mapping & IOMMU - physically contiguous allocations

Inki Dae daeinki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:54:17 EDT 2012

Hi Hiroshi,

2012. 10. 16. 오후 11:13 Hiroshi Doyu <hdoyu at nvidia.com> 작성:

> Hi Inki,
>
> Inki Dae <inki.dae at samsung.com> wrote @ Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:12:49 +0200:
>
>> Hi Hiroshi,
>>
>> 2012/10/16 Hiroshi Doyu <hdoyu at nvidia.com>:
>>> Hi Inki/Marek,

>>> Agree that the contigous memory allocation is necessary for us too.
>>>
>>> In addition to those contiguous/discontiguous page allocation, is
>>> there any way to _import_ anonymous pages allocated by a process to be
>>> used in dma-mapping API later?
>>>
>>> I'm considering the following scenario, an user process allocates a
>>> buffer by malloc() in advance, and then it asks some driver to convert
>>> that buffer into IOMMU'able/DMA'able ones later. In this case, pages
>>> are discouguous and even they may not be yet allocated at
>>> malloc()/mmap().
>>>

>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean but we had already tried this
>> way and for this, you can refer to below link,
>>               http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org/msg22555.html
>
> The above patch doesn't seem to have so much platform/SoC specific
> code but rather it could common over other SoC as well. Is there any
> plan to make it more generic, which can be used by other DRM drivers?

Right, the above patch has no any platform/SoC specific code but doesn't use dma-mapping API . Anyway we should refrain from using such thing because gem object could still be used and shared with other processes even if user process freed user region allocated by malloc()

And our new patch in progress would resolve this issue and this way is similar to drm-based via driver of mainline kernel. And this patch isn't considered for common use and is specific to platform/SoC so much. The pages backed can be used only by 2d gpu's dma.

Thanks,
Inki Dae