PDF documentation

Constantine Shulyupin const at makelinux.com
Tue Oct 16 09:22:52 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have some questions and ideas about documentation in PDF format.
During embedded SW development I often work with documentation,
especially datasheets in PDF format. I have some issues with such
documentation. It is not so easy to manage a lot of PDF documents
sometimes with strange code in file names.  It is not easy to store
and share links to documentation.
It is possible to reference to a PDF page in this way
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap4430.pdf#page=100 , but it slow
and doesn’t work in all cases.
Sometimes it is more easy just to copy paste and send by email part of
documentation instead of using hyperlinks.
I found, that it is more easy work (and work collaboratively) with
documentation in HTML format. Sometimes it is possible just to convert
PDF to HTML.

Questions:
- have same issues with PDF documentation and datasheets?
- do you think documentation and datasheets in HTML format on a site
can be more useful than PDF?
- what PDF documentation do you use? (You can just drop a link to PDF,
for example http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap4430.pdf)

--
Constantine Shulyupin
http://www.MakeLinux.com/