alignment faults in 3.6

Ben Hutchings bhutchings at solarflare.com
Fri Oct 12 12:13:27 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 16:47 +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > AC was so useless that it has now been reallocated to use by SMAP
> > <https://lwn.net/Articles/517251/>.
>
> That is a long time coming!
> Wonder when it will appear in any cpus.
>
> How am I going to get root access when I can't get the kernel
> to execute code at address 0 any more :-)

Moving further off the topic: that is supposed to be prevented by a
separate feature, SMEP, which I think is available in current Intel CPUs
(Ivy Bridge).  Also, unprivileged users are generally not permitted to
mmap() at address 0.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.