alignment faults in 3.6

Benjamin LaHaise bcrl at kvack.org
Fri Oct 12 11:00:45 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 04:48:20PM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > Somehow, I doubt anyone would be willing to walk through all the noise the
> > faults would likely trigger.
>
> If this can be mapped to an event that can be used by perf tool, that
> might be useful ?

There are performance counters for the various different types of alignment
faults supported by perf. Modern x86 makes the vast majority of unaligned
accesses very low overhead -- the only ones that really hurt are those
straddling different vm pages, but even those have little cost compared to
obsolete microarchitectures (*cough* P4 *cough*).

		-ben
--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."