ARM: hw_breakpoint: silent EPERM when setting ARM_DSCR_MDBGEN on ARM_DEBUG_ARCH_V7_ECP14

Dietmar Eggemann dietmar.eggemann at arm.com
Fri Oct 12 07:26:12 EDT 2012

On 09/10/12 18:05, Valentin Pistol wrote:
> Will,
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Will Deacon <will.deacon at arm.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 09:08:24AM +0100, Valentin Pistol wrote:
>>> Is there a reliable way to determine that they are locked down?
>>> Any particular register/bit I can check to confirm?
>>
>> You can take a look at the DBGAUTHSTATUS register and try to determine the
>> signal values for SPNIDEN, DBGEN and NIDEN.
>
> DBGAUTHSTATUS=0xaa confirming DBGEN is LOW. Since then I found out
> that there are two types of OMAP devices:
> GP (General Purpose) and HS (High Security) and supposedly Debug
> Capabilities are only available on GP devices.
> Thus, I ordered a Pandaboard ES with OMAP4460 and tested it with a
> prebuilt Ubuntu 12.04 image.
> After boot monitor mode is still not set, the DSCR reads the same
> 0x01030002 just as with the previous Galaxy Nexus.
>
> I contacted TI and they seem to say hw breakpoints/watchpoints are
> available on Pandaboard but they are confused about monitor mode,
> saying it's not available on Pandaboard GP.
> See http://e2e.ti.com/support/omap/f/849/p/216276/770995.aspx for the
> discussion.
> Isn't monitor mode and DBGEN on HIGH required for access to
> breakpoints/watchpoints?
> Maybe they are thinking about Secure Monitor Mode and TrustZone which
> is not related?
>
> Have you used a Pandaboard and can comment on how to enable the
> breakpoints/watchpoints?
> Could you also mention a specific development board that you are using
> and recommend for access to these features?

I'm running Linaro 12.08 on Pandaboard (Rev A1) and on this board
DBGAUTHSTATUS.NSNE and DBGAUTHSTATUS.NSE are set.

With additional logs in enable_monitor_mode()
[arch/arm/kernel/hw_breakpoint.c]:

root at linaro-nano:~# dmesg | grep hw-break
[    0.321380] hw-breakpoint: arch_hw_breakpoint_init cpu0 debug_arch=3
[    0.321441] hw-breakpoint: enable_monitor_mode cpu1
DBGDSCR=03070002
[    0.321441] hw-breakpoint: enable_monitor_mode cpu1
DBGAUTHSTATUS=000000af
[    0.321502] hw-breakpoint: enable_monitor_mode cpu0
DBGDSCR=03070002
[    0.321533] hw-breakpoint: enable_monitor_mode cpu0
DBGAUTHSTATUS=000000af
[    0.321533] hw-breakpoint: found 5 (+1 reserved) breakpoint and 1
watchpoint registers.
[    0.321563] hw-breakpoint: maximum watchpoint size is 4 bytes.

-- Dietmar