alignment faults in 3.6

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Fri Oct 12 07:18:08 EDT 2012

Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:00:03PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>> Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

>> I think that's an excellent idea.
>
> Well, I get the last word here and it's no.

Sadly, yes.

>> > No.  It is my understanding that various IP option processing can also
>> > cause the alignment fault handler to be invoked, even when the packet is
>> > properly aligned, and then there's jffs2/mtd which also relies upon
>> > alignment faults being fixed up.
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, this is all hearsay, and I've only ever heard
>> it from you.  Why can't you let those who care fix these bugs instead?
>
> You know, I'm giving you the benefit of my _knowledge_ which has been
> built over the course of the last 20 years.

How proud you sound.  Now could you say something of substance instead?

> I've been in these discussions with networking people before.  I ended
> up having to develop the alignment fault handler because of those
> discussions.  And oh look, Eric confirmed that the networking code
> isn't going to get "fixed" as you were demanding, which is exactly
> what I said.

Funny, I saw him say the exact opposite:

  So if you find an offender, please report a bug, because I can
  guarantee you we will _fix_ it.

> I've been in discussions with MTD people over these issues before, I've
> discussed this with David Woodhouse when it came up in JFFS2.  I *KNOW*
> these things.

In the same way you "know" the networking people won't fix their code,
despite them _clearly_ stating the opposite?

> You can call it hearsay if you wish, but it seems to be more accurate
> than your wild outlandish and pathetic statements.

So you're resorting to name-calling.  Not taking that bait.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com