alignment faults in 3.6

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Oct 12 04:11:42 EDT 2012

On Thursday 11 October 2012, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > But, the IP header is expected to be aligned.
>
> Everything tells the compiler the struct is perfectly aligned.  When the
> buggy driver passes a misaligned pointer, bad things happen.

Would it be appropriate to add a WARN_ON_ONCE() in the alignment fault path
then? If all alignment faults in the kernel are caused by broken drivers,
that would at least give us some hope of finding those drivers while at the
same time not causing much overhead in the case where we need to do the
fixup in the meantime.

	Arnd