pm: add suspend_mem and suspend_standby support

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 05:20:25 EDT 2012

On 10.10.2012 09:17, Vaibhav Hiremath wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 3:42 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> because on at91 I need to handle the mem standby at drviers level.
>>
>> This is not an answer.  You're basically saying "it has to be done this way,
>> because it has to be done this way".
>>
>>> We do it today already by a hack in different drivers at91_udc (usb device),
>>> atmel_serail and at91_ohci. Those 3 IP have specifci handling when switching
>>> to mem pm. On at91 when switch to mem we shutdown everything and run form a slow
>>> clock - this is done at soc level - but those IP have issue and need specific
>>> care before doing so. Ohterwise when the SoC will wakeup but those IP will not
>>>
>>> in this patch series I send the update of those 3 drivers too
>>> and kill the hack
>>
>> Well, let's start over.  What's the difference between "suspend to RAM" (mem)
>> and "standby" on your platform?

>> Yes, if there are more users needing a change.  If there's only one, I think not
>> really.
>>

> We came across such a need while supporting various low-power modes in
> AM335x SoC. I also wanted to put similar proposal, its good that Jean
> submitted patches and we are having this discussion early.
>
> Let me try to describe the need and issue here,
>
> In case of AM33xx device, we have different low-power modes supported
> by HW, for this discussion I will just talk about DeepSleep-0 and
> StandBy mode supported by HW (few other modes also described in spec)-
>
> Below is the Spec definition of these two low-power modes,

Thanks for this summary, which raises a question for me that might be
slightly unreleated to the general discussion, but still:

I was just looking at the code that ships with the BSP kernel, and the
approach there is to load a binary firmare blob to the M3 UMEM and then
communicates with mailbox commands in order to put the system to suspend.

Is this how it should be done in mainline as well or are there any plans
to implement that behaviour natively?

Thanks,
Daniel