alignment faults in 3.6

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Oct 6 12:31:00 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:04:33PM +0100, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> On 5 October 2012 23:42, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:37:40PM +0100, Mans Rullgard wrote:
> >> The problem is the (__be32 *) casts.  This is a normal pointer to a 32-bit,
> >> which is assumed to be aligned, and the cast overrides the packed attribute
> >> from the struct.  Dereferencing these cast expressions must be done with the
> >> macros from asm/unaligned.h
> >
> > Again, not going to happen.
>
> There are only two options for fixing this:
>
> 1. Ensure the struct is always aligned.
> 2. Declare it packed (and fix casts).
>
> Refusing to do either leaves us with a broken kernel.  Is that what you want?

How about you start reading the emails that you receive rather than
seemingly insisting that I somehow fix the Linux networking stack -
which would involve me talking to someone who has publically tried
to oust me from being ARM maintainer, and whom would probably reject
any attempt to fix this _because_ I was the person involved in proposing
the fix?

It's far better that someone else sorts this out, they are much more
likely to get a favourable response.