[RFC 20/24] SERIAL: core: add xmit buffer allocation callbacks

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Oct 6 11:49:56 EDT 2012

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 13:45:47 +0100
Russell King <rmk+kernel at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> This allows drivers (such as OMAP serial) to allocate and free their
> transmit buffers in a sane manner, rather than working around the
> buffer allocation provided by serial_core.

I think this just illustrates how broken the serial_core layering is in
that drivers can't treat it as a library but get constrained by it.

Fine for now and actually probably a useful hook to begin removing the
circ buffers for the kernel generic kfifo and other work that needs doing
eventually.

Alan