Branches next/soc and for-next

Markus Mayer mmayer at broadcom.com
Thu Nov 29 15:02:09 EST 2012

Hi Arnd and Olof,

Following a short discussion with Pawel regarding a build breakage in
next/soc (see
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-November/thread.html#135208),
I would like to ask you for some clarification as to the differences
between the branches next/soc and for-next and what that means for
development.

If I understand correctly, next/soc is being used to integrate SoC work
from various board- or vendor-specific branches. for-next, in turn,
integrates next/soc with driver branches and other non-SoC related
branches. Is this somewhat accurate? -- What happens to code in
for-next? Is that what eventually gets pulled into mainline?

As I mentioned in my discussion with Pawel, next/soc currently doesn't
build for vexpress and, since vexpress is multiplatform-enabled, no
other multiplatform target will build, either. The reason for this,
Pawel explained, was that he was asked to split his patch, so it could
be applied to different branches, depending on the subsystem area his
changes were made in. As a result, a file needed for compilation
(arch/mach-vexpress/reset.c) is missing in next/soc.

How are such build errors generally addressed? How long does it usually
take? And, lastly, which branch would you recommend to use for
development to generate patches relative to arm-soc?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
-Markus