KEXEC on ARM cortex-a15

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Wed Nov 21 05:22:44 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 08:21:21AM +0000, Naresh Bhat wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> I have disabled the SMP on host kernel.  But still I am facing the
> issue as below
>
> bash-4.2# ls
> uImage  vexpress.dtb
> bash-4.2#
> bash-4.2# kexec -f uImage --dtb=vexpress.dtb --command-line="console=ttyS0"

Can you try using a zImage instead and also specifying the console as
ttyAMA0, as it looks like you're using a vexpress?

> Starting new kernel
> Bye!
> Uncompressing Linux...

This isn't really very helpful -- some more debugging on your part would be
appreciated to get an insight as to what's going wrong. You could either use
JTAG or put some early prints in the decompressor to work out where it goes
awry.

Useful things to know would be: the state of the CPU when the new kernel
image is entered (if you have JTAG, you could also look at the dtb in memory
to see that it looks sane) and also at which point in the decompressor it
goes wrong / takes an abort (usually it's when we enable the MMU).

Will