Kernel uncompression error

Arnaud Patard (Rtp) arnaud.patard at rtp-net.org
Thu Nov 15 06:22:39 EST 2012

Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:56:47PM +0800, woody wrote:
>>>
>>> I reported that S3C2410 is totally dead with 3.x kernels about a month
>>> ago and got no response what so ever from anyone.  I guess S3C2410 is
>>> just not cared for anymore.
>>>
>>> When I get sufficient motivation, I'll try and track down what's going
>>> wrong, but it means taking the old mailing list server (and now list
>>> archive) offline for a while.
>>>
>>> I don't think it's cache related; different image sizes seem to behave
>>> differently - and when they _do_ successfully decompress, they don't
>>> boot at all.
>>
>> Now I switched from 3.2.x kernel to the latest stable 3.6.6. And, I did
>> a lot of configuration to make the zImage size smaller, now it is 1.5M.
>> After download it to the board, I got another error:
>>
>> "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."
>>
>> Then the kernel halted.
>>
>> I noticed, the dots (...) in the kernel log seems very short, is this a
>> clue or just normal?
>
> You've not told me anything I don't already know...  As I said, it needs
> investigation as to what's going on.  I was rather hoping that the Samsung
> people would look at it, but alas there seems to be zero interest from
> them.

I guess that a lot of people don't care anymore about 2410 or can't
help. For instance, the only serial port available on my h1940 is the IR
one and I don't have a device to receive the ir data anymore so this
won't help. I won't even talk about gta01, which has no support in
mainline. It may also be the usual -ENOTIME error.

Arnaud