Decoding the PTM traces

Punit Agrawal punit.agrawal at arm.com
Wed Nov 14 09:58:21 EST 2012

Hi Arun,

You can think of the trace in the ETB as the raw stream resulting from
the multiplexing of different trace streams. So to get to the PTM trace
you'll first have to de-multiplex the stream, and then decode the stream
based on the source - in this case PTM.

The format of the data stored in the ETB is described in the ETM TRM
Section 9.6
(http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0314h/Bgbhhidd.html).
The decoding should give you a trace stream for each active trace
source. The ATBID can be used to de-multiplex multiple sources, e.g.,
the two PTMs associated with the two A9s.

The PTM stream can then be decoded using the Program Flow Trace Protocol
described in Program Flow Trace Architecture Specification Section 4
(http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ihi0035b/Chddbbdf.html).

Out of curiosity, may I ask what are you trying to do?

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for clarification.

Cheers,
Punit